At Spring Lake Christian Reformed Church, we exist to help people of all ages develop authentic relationships with Jesus Christ.
Spring Lake Christian Reformed Church welcomes all individuals seeking God’s love, and keep our doors open to every soul seeking to welcome Jesus into their hearts. Our church stands as a beacon of hope in Spring Lake. We are a place of acceptance, peace and joy to all who are moved to join us. Our church family is richly diverse, with people of different ages and backgrounds coming together to worship and serve together. Get in touch to find out more or join us for a service.
130+ Years of Worship in Spring Lake
A Long History...
1882 – Organization of church. Building started. Parsonage purchased. Catechism classes begun.
1883 – P. Ekster becomes our first pastor.
1894 – Sullivan Church formed from our church.
1897 – Corner lot to the north of the church purchased.
1902 – First organ purchased.
1903 – First services in English.
1904 – Coal furnace installed under the church.
1905 – Sunday School begins.
1910 – Present parsonage built. First Sunday School picnic.
1911 – Gas lights replace oil lamps in church.
1915 – Women’s Society organized at Ferrysburg.
1917 – Two English services per month.
1919 – Church wired for electricity and electric lights installed.
1920 – New organ acquired. Entrance of church remodeled.
1925 – Basement built under church, providing new consistory room, kitchen and Sunday School rooms.
1928 – First group of our children attend the Grand Haven Christian School.
1936 – Printed bulletins used in place of verbal announcements.
1937 – Name changed to Spring Lake Christian Reformed Church. Individual communion cups first used at communion service.
1942 – Organ rebuilt and electrified.
1948 – Last regular service in Dutch.
1949 – Spring Lake Christian School Society merges with Grand Haven’s.
1953 – Ferrysburg Church organized out of our membership.
1956 – Property on Lake Avenue and Fall Street acquired as building site for new church.
1958 – Congregation approved minimum cost of new church building to be $110,000.00.
1959 – Calvinist Cadet Corp program was started.
1960 – Plans for new church building were accepted and financing approved.
1961 – Ground was broken for new church building.
1962 – Farewell to old church and dedication of new sanctuary.
1964 – Lot next to parsonage lot was purchased. Witness of the CRC was extended through a telephone service and ads in the daily newspaper.
1965 – Junior Cadet Club was organized.
1968 – The old parsonage was sold for $16,000.
1973 – Lights were installed in the parking lot.
1975 – A sprinkling system was installed on church property.
1977 – The building fund indebtedness was paid from the special gifts fund. We had a special service for the burning of the mortgage. Our first newsletter was published. First Maundy Thursday service replaced Good Friday service. Grape juice replaced wine at Communion.
1982 - Centennial Celebration.
1994 - Fellowship Hall and Sanctuary remodel
2007 - 125th Anniversary
2014 - Last Sunday night service held
2016 - Original Bell Tower removed
2017 - Parsonage Remodel
2021 - Church Remodel
2022 - Sold Parsonage on 618 Fall St.